Sunday, June 29, 2008

Vacation

I've been on 'vacation' this week and I have really enjoyed it. I didn't go out of town, just took the time to do some fun things I don't usually do.

Monday was fun because I spent some time driving around Allen and learning a little bit about the community I'm living in now. It is a really fun little town. I went to the library and got a card and checked out a couple things and spent some time in their local history section. My most interesting find was the photo of my coworker in the high school yearbook. Priceless.

Tuesday after highlights, a manicure and pedicure I went to see Hairspray with the aforementioned coworker. She is really a friend now, so I'm going to invent a new word cofriendworker to give her the distiction she deserves. We had a great time dressing up and I think I definitely need to see more live shows.

Wednesday was history day and I visited the Dallas Heritage Village in Old City Park and the Sixth Floor Museum. I was a little disappointed in the village because when I got there there were no living history actors working, so I just went and looked inside all the buildings. It was still fun for me because I just love being in old places and sensing the history that has taken place there. The Sixth Floor Museum was right along that line and was more fun (and less hot) than the village. If you are unaware, this museum is located on the 6th floor of what was the Texas School Book Depository building where Lee Harvey Oswald shot President Kennedy. It is a great museum - they give you an 'audio guide' - a small player with headphones and there is an audio program that guides you through the museum. This one was narrated by a reporter who was there the day of the assassination. Overall, I thought it was very good - I spent 2 1/2 hours there. That is why you should probably not go to historical things with me - I am the nerd who reads every sign.

Thursday was somewhat unpleasant for a vacation day because I had to get some fillings. Wrapped it up with some time with the fam...

Friday I really enjoyed hanging out with K & B & M. We went to downtown McKinney and ate lunch and shopped for a little while. We found this really cute little store - Posy Place, so we all remember it. :) They had stationery and games and lots of other just fun little things. There was also a cute little candy store that had all kinds of old fashioned candy and such. Most of the downtown area was under construction, so that made it a little less fun. I was disappointed that my diner was closed for remodeling. Oh well. Later I went to see Ironman with my brother. It was surprisingly good. I would highly recommend it.

Saturday was a lazy day spent reading until church. This week I worked on a couple projects, finished 4 books, watched 8 movies in the spare time in between my activities. All in all, it was a great vacation.

So tomorrow it is back to the daily grind. But after work is the Bachelorette and The Mole. Good stuff.

1 comment:

gayle said...

Hooray for wonderful vacations full of fun things we never make time to do!

I agree, more live shows are in order!

Also, I love my new nickname. FUN! :)